The workshop vevue is the Wates House, University of Surrey in the city of Guildford with easy access to both London Heathrow and Gatwick airports:
Travelling by train/coach:
There are good public transport connections with Gatwick Airport (40 mins for direct train, google direction) and London’s Waterloo Station (35-60 mins for direct train) and Victoria Station (40-60 mins for trains changing at Clapham Junction).
Guildford is slightly more difficult to reach from Heathrow airport; routes include:
1. LHR->Woking railway station by coach and train to Guildford (google direction link), or
2. LHR->London Paddington->London Waterloo->Guildford
(The latter can be an advantage if attendees wish to spend some time in London before or after the workshop.)
With luggage, taxi transportation from Guildford Train Station to some of the hotels or Wates House is advisable (10-20 mins subject to traffic).
Travel time to University of Surrey (subject to traffic conditions!):
Attendees with a vehicle will be provided a parking permit, so that they can park in the staff car parks during this vacation period (labelled “(E)” in campus map)
One disable parking space is located outside of Wates House
Three disabled parking spaces are available outside of the Library Building (labelled “LLC” in campus map) but note there is a short but steep walk to Wates House.
The table below covers some of the hotel accommodation options, from relatively cheap (Travelodge) to expensive (Guildford Harbour).
1) April is a busy travel month and it looks like the rooms are disappearing quickly on these popular booking sites so please make your booking asap!
2) It is worth contacting the hotels directly, if the rooms on the booking sites have all be sold out.
3) Consider Bed and Breakfasts (B&B) as an alternative.
Communting to Guildford:
It is also reasonably practical to stay in London or in the suburbs of London (e.g. Wimbledon, Clapham), or nearby towns such as Woking or Farnborough, and to commute by train to Guildford Station.