The workshop is organized by the Working Group “ATD3” managed by ESA and CNES through the ESA Technology Directorate and the CNES Research and Technology Directorate.
The ATD3 working group is a regular forum at European level to facilitate the discussions (at technical and scientific level), collect and disseminate information, propose new topics/activities and plan (roadmap definition and coordination).
The main objectives of the group are:
- Setting of a framework for verification, validation and comparison of numerical methods for space object reentry simulation tools. It is widely acknowledge that current state of the art tools feature strong modelling assumptions that introduce largely unquantified errors in the simulation deteriorate our capability to perform design for demise. For this reason the group set up a limited number of test cases that are regularly updated. The workshop organizers take care of collecting and processing new results.
- Disseminating recent results within the ATD3 community. Members include academics ( in particular PhD students) and experts from industry that can share recent results and on-going activities founded by ESA and CNES.
- Coordinating and discussing future activities. The objective is to get expert opinion from the academic and industry sector regarding future activity in the domain of aerothermodynamics and design for demise.
As in all the previous editions, the upcoming Workshop has been designed with and for researchers, technicians, industry representatives, end-users and those with a general interest in the field, with the goal to exchange ideas, advance knowledge and discuss on the following topics:
- Continuum regime Aerothermodynamics
- High altitude regime Aerothermodynamics
- Fragmentation, ablation phenomena
- Experimental capabilities/measurement techniques
- Material and flow characterization
- Modelling improvements: refinement, verification, validation and comparison of numerical methods for space object re-entry simulation tools.
The format of the event will be a sequential list of presentations of about 20 minutes each, with 5 minutes brief Q&A session per presentation.
NOTE ABOUT THE ATD3 WORKING GROUP MEETING
The day after the Workshop, on the 3rd of December, is reserved for the Annual Meeting of the Working Group Members.
All the Working Group Members are kindly invited to register to the Workshop and to participate to it, but, anyhow, they will receive an invitation to the Annual Meeting, by e-mail.