As you may imagine, it is difficult to plan for our workshop in October in the current situation, with the associated uncertainties. We can already anticipate that the workshop will not be held as usual. Difficult to imagine some 200 people from all over Europe gathering in 4 months time.
Still, we believe it is important to keep the link between us, and keep our community together. So we do not want to simply give up and we are therefore considering possible alternatives. At the moment, it is still too early to provide a plan, but we aim at doing something that would allow to bring us together in some form, and exchange information.
Main idea is to do something online. ESA could share general information, as was done in the previous editions, tool developers could present the latest improvements in the softwares. We could also open the floor to you for sharing experiences. However, 3 days full of online presentations may not be very digest.
Please feel free to share ideas you may have on the topic. It is our collective event, there is no workshop without you.
In case you would like to present something please note that at the moment it is not yet clear how this will be done. Still, having an idea of possible contributions will help us in further detailing our plans. So feel free to submit a short abstract, see the menu on the left. Please keep it short, see it more as a proposal for presentation, just enough to give us a feel of the subject will do for now.
As for the dates, we see no reason to change them, so pencil the dates 8-10 October in your calendar.
Do not hesitate to contact me or my colleagues in TEC-MT, if you have any questions or suggestions. The whole team is at work and is available by phone or email. Do not hesitate to get in touch with us for any aspects related to our space thermal engineering activities. More detailed contact information can be found here
Below you will find the usual text for the workshop for information. It has not been fully modified to take all changes into account. If something is not clear then please do not hesitate to contact me.
The European Space Thermal Engineering Workshop, organised by the ESA/ESTEC Thermal Division, will be held on:
Tuesday 6 to Thursday 8 October 2020
at ESA/ESTEC, Noordwijk, the Netherlands.
Aim and scope
The aim of the workshop is:
- to provide a forum for the exchange of views, experiences, best practices and lessons learned for thermal engineers involved in space missions
- to promote and facilitate contacts between thermal engineers and thermal technologies and tool developers
- to present recent developments on all aspects of the thermal engineering domain and to solicit feedback
- to present new approaches and methodologies e.g. for thermal design, analysis and verification
Topics covered include in particular
- thermal design (for platforms, instruments etc.)
- thermal analysis and software tools
- thermal testing
- thermal control technologies
- two-phase heat transport technology
- thermal technologies and methodologies related to small satellites and CubeSats
- mapping of thermal results to mechanical models and guidelines for thermo-elastic (for thermal part)
The workshop will consist of presentations only. The working language will be English.