The European Space Agency (herein the “Agency” or “ESA”) is an intergovernmental organisation established by its Convention opened for signature in Paris on 30 May 1975 having its headquarters located at 24 rue du Général Bertrand, CS 30798, 75345 Paris Cedex 07, France.
Protection of Personal Data is of great importance for ESA, which strives to ensure a high level of protection as required by the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection (herein the “ESA PDP Framework”) which applies in this field. ESA implements appropriate measures to preserve the rights of data subjects, to ensure the processing of personal data for specified and legitimate purposes, in a not excessive manner, as necessary for the purposes for which the personal data were collected or for which they are further processed, in conditions protecting confidentiality, integrity and safety of personal data and generally to implement the principles set forth in the PDP Framework, available at:
ESA PDP Framework is composed of the following elements:
- the Principles of Personal Data Protection, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017;
- the Rules of Procedure for the Data Protection Supervisory Authority, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017; and
- the Policy on Personal Data Protection adopted by Director General of ESA on 5 February 2018 and effective on 1 March 2018.
This notice is intended to inform you, as data subject, about:
- the identity of the data controller and contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”);
- the type of personal data which is collected and processed;
- the modalities of collection of personal data;
- the purpose of the collection and processing;
- the recipients (if any) to whom the personal data of the data subject shall be disclosed;
- the time-limits for storing the personal data;
- the practical modalities of exercising the rights of the data subject under the ESA PDP Framework.
This notice is also enables ESA to obtain your consent relating to the collection and further processing of your personal data, under ESA PDP Framework.
1. Who is the Data Controller?
Your personal data are collected and further processed as shown below upon the decision taken alone by ESA. Thus, the Data Controller is ESA.
2. What are the contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer?
According to ESA PDP Framework, your first point of contact concerning personal data matters is the ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”), who may be contacted at: DPO@esa.int
For further information on the situations in which you may contact the ESA DPO, please refer to the questions below.
3. What kind of personal data about you are collected and further processed?
The personal data which may be collected and further processed for the purposes mentioned below are in particular:
You are required not to send to the Agency any sensitive information (including information that indicate, directly or indirectly, an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, adhesion to unions, religious or philosophical beliefs, health life, sexual orientation, genetic or biometric data, criminal convictions).
4. How are your personal data collected or further processed?
Your personal data may be collected by various means, including via:
- Enquiry to a member of the SPACEMON2020 Organising Committee
- Forwarded registration of interest via trusted partners (i.e. ESA employees and SPACEMON2020 registered participants)
- Registration to previous related events (SPACEMON2017, TEC-EPS Final Presentation Days)
- Applications to attend SPACEMON2020 via the website (https://indico.esa.int/e/spacemon2020)
5. Why are your personal data collected and further processed?
Your personal data are collected and further processed in order to:
- to provide you access to, and enable the use of the website ; to improve the experience of SPACEMON2020 with regard to accessing materials;
- to manage your relationship with the Agency as well as your requests and applications in relation to SPACEMON2020
- to enable your participation in SPACEMON2020 via the selected videoconferencing tools.
- to send you notifications in connection with SPACEMON2020
- to highlight and promote SPACEMON2020, to communicate SPACEMON2020 as well as to promote similar events (upcoming SPACEMON events)
In addition to these purposes, the Agency may use your personal information for any of the purposes mentioned in Article 5 of the Policy on Personal Data Protection.
6. To whom might we disclose your personal data?
The Agency may disclose your personal data to any of the following third party recipients for the fulfilment of all or part of the purposes of the collection and processing of personal data, which are mentioned above:
|Recipient acting as…||Servers and sub-processors of the recipient are located in:|
|SPACEMON2020 Organising Committee||ESA, FR, BE|
|ESA staff and contractors involved in the operation, maintenance and hosting of the website||ESA|
|ESA staff and contractors involved in the organisation of the event||ESA|
|SPACEMON2020 registered participants (only with explicit permission)||ESA|
7. How long do we retain your personal data for?
The Agency does not consider your personal data as an asset for sale and, thus, does not does not sell your personal data to any third parties.
The Agency may keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the above mentioned purposes. This means that you will be contacted for the next SPACEMON event (expected in 2-3 years' time) but if you do not register your Personal Data shall be deleted thereafter.
8. How can you erase, rectify, complete or amend your personal data?
The Agency is keen to collect and process accurate personal data and to keep it updated.
You may request the erasure, rectification, completion or amendment of your personal data if, and to the extent that it is inaccurate or incomplete, having regard to the purposes for which they are collected and processed, or if they are processed in violation with the principles referred in ESA PDP Framework.
If you choose to make a request for the erasure of personal data, you understand and agree that ESA cannot process the inscription to the event and you therefore will not be able to access the material nor will you receive the email invitation to attend the videoconference.
The above-mentioned request should be submitted to the SPACEMON mailing list manager: email@example.com
9. What could you do in case of a data protection incident?
In case of a data protection incident, you should contact ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In case you wish to submit a complaint, you are required to comply with the Rules of Procedure of the Supervisory Authority set forth by ESA PDP Framework. You will be required to demonstrate that a data protection incident occurred in relation to your personal data, following a decision of the Agency or at least to justify serious reasons to believe that such incident occurred.
10. Your consent
Your consent is given through the registration form. The points for usage (point (5) above) can be opted-out from by request when you register or any time thereafter. Note that this may impact our ability to include you in the event or to make material available to you.